Today we did a number of things. We started out at Santa Maria del Popolo where we saw two Caravaggios (again for me because we made an excursion there without the group a few days ago), Capitoline Hill museum (where we saw some famous things including the Marcus Aurelius equestrian statue and the Dying Gaul), then we went to the Galleria Borghese. My favorite place we've been thus far. They are famous for having a great collection of Caravaggios and Berninis. Unfortunately, a lot of the Caravaggios were not there because they are somewhere else in an exhibition, but oh man, I had a few moments with the Berninis. The first one we saw was the Rape of Persephone. AMAZING! I was overcome with all kinds of emotions when I saw it. First, amazement at the detailing in the marble. Where Hades holds on to Persephone, his hands are like imprinted into her skin. It's so realistic and amazing. The second emotion was anger as I looked at the expression of pleasure on Hades face juxtaposed with the sheer terror and helplessness on the face of Persephone as she is struggling to get away. I have seen slides of this, but they do nothing compared to standing there and seeing it in person, as it was with all the Berninis today. I even noticed tears on the face of Persephone I had never noticed there before. Incredible! And there were just a lot of emotions involved with being in awe of how amazing this sculpture was. Seriously, amazing. Another statue we saw was Bernini's David. Also very cool. But nothing compared to the Apollo and Daphne sculpture in the last room of the gallery. If you don't know the story of Apollo and Daphne, basically Apollo wanted Daphne but she could have no man and would turn into a Laurel tree if anyone tried. But the detailing on this is so crazily perfect! The leaves were so thin and tiny you could see light shining through them. And this is marble. Daphne's toes appeared as if her toenails were becoming the roots, little tiny branch like things sprung out from them. and her hands were amazing! They had little branches sprouting out from them. Anyway, I really like Bernini. He's just awesome. Google those sculptures if you have a chance. You may get a sense of what I'm talking about.
Also, one of the girls on the trip with us has her computer and is keeping a more detailed account of our journey and the things we see everyday for the Dean of the arts school. The address is www.theodysseyofayounghistorian.blogspot.com. She's doin a real great job. Anyway, we go to Pompeii tomorrow. We have to catch a 7:30 train! yummy... good night one and all! Loves yas.
1 comment:
Tony is so jealous that you are there right now. He misses it so much. Can you believe he was a teenager on those streets. I can picture him cruising down a cobble stone street with the clothes hanging on the lines between the houses. He says is the most incredible place to be. Have fun and keep us posted.
Post a Comment