Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I belong in this big city

Words can not describe how fantastic my New York adventure was last week. It was the most perfect week.

Day #1: We took the red eye flight Monday night and arrived at JFK the next morning. We took the train into the city, were able to check into our hotel, and rested for about 45 minutes in our rooms. We then went to the Cloisters, a medieval division of the Metropolitan Museum of Art clear uptown. I saw the Merode Altarpiece, the piece I'm writing my senior thesis on. That was exciting. We then got some lunch at a Texas BBQ joint, walked through central park, and visited the Frick collection. I loved this collection. They had some Van Dycks, Rembrandts, Whistlers, Holbeins, etc. etc. And the house where it was was just gorgeous. We then walked about 10 blocks to the Solomon Guggenheim museum to enjoy some great modern art. They also had a great collection of many important works. Loved it. We then went and checked in at the CAA conference and got our badges and our program guide. Right across the street from the Hilton (where the CAA conference was) there was a movie premiere happening for "Just go With It." We were able to sneak a peek of Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Adam Sandler, and Jennifer Aniston. Quite exciting. Then we got some dinner and called it a night.

Day #2: Some of us got up early and went to Christie's Education Center with one of our professors whose friend is the director of education there. She talked to us a little bit about the education program (it is somewhat like Sotheby's) and then took us to the auction house. We were able to sit in on an auction of decorative arts. It was crazy to see how fast those move and how quickly the prices can go from $500 to $20,000. I was intrigued. We then got to wander through the collection of items that were up for sale. And you can touch everything! That was exciting considering I'm used to being in museums where things beep at you if you get too close (I may have had it happen to me a few times...). I handled a drawing by the artist Guido Reni. Excitement. Then a few of us headed to the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art). This was probably my favorite museum of the trip. I may have been a bit emotional when I saw Van Gogh's "Starry Night." I've mentioned that I love him, right? After our trip to the MoMA we went to a session of the CAA Conference where a Guerilla Girl was speaking! One of the founders, Frida Kahlo! She gave a great presentation, and afterward we met her and got our picture with her. One of our girls even cried. That's how excited we were. In the picture our faces look like Christmas morning. It was a happy day. After our excitement here, we went to Bubba Gump in Times Square for dinner. It was delicious. Then I went and took a street jazz and a house class at the Broadway Dance Center. I was on a high after that. It has been far too long since I took a really intense dance class. I miss it. Then I just walked back to our hotel, chilled in the lobby for a bit, then we all went to bed.

Day #3: In the morning Claire and I went downtown to see Wall Street, The Statue of Liberty from Battery Park, and Ground Zero. Claire had never been to New York so she had to see these sights. While she went to another session at the conference, I went on a hunt for some high tops. And I found some. Two great pairs at the same store I bought my favorite high tops ever last time I was in New York three years ago. Happiness. Then we went and heard one of our professors, James Swensen, present at the conference. He did a great job. Then we ran over to the MoMA for a second round, and it was just as great as it was the first time. Then Ciera and I strolled down 5th ave. and did a bit of shopping at H&M and Urban Outfitters (really we just looked. I bought a pair of great boots from H&M for pretty cheap though. and that was all). Then we went back to the hotel and hung out for the rest of the evening. It was far too cold to be outside for long.

Day #4: We got up, ate some falafel pitas for breakfast/lunch, and went to hear two of our professors, Martha Peacock and Heather Jensen, give two of the best presentations I heard at the conference. They amaze me. Then we ate dinner at Carnegie deli, where I got a turkey sandwich that had about 2 pounds of turkey on it. I couldn't finish it and felt a tryptophan overload later. ha! Then we went to the Whitney Museum of American Art to check out their collection. They had a few good Hoppers and Demuths and Scheelers. And then I went and took another street jazz dance class, hung out in Times Square, and got some cherry cheesecake from Carnegie Deli to share with my roomies.

Day #5: My birthday!!! We got up, went to see if we could get some broadway tickets, went shopping on Canal Street (all I bought were some Ray Ban knock offs for $5), ate at the delicious Europa Cafe for lunch, and then went to the matinee of Mary Poppins with cheap student tickets in the balcony. It was such a great show! At one point, Bert was dancing on the ceiling. Brilliant. We all were so happy when at the end Mary Poppins flew up right in front of us. I think one of us cried. It was a happy moment. And then after Mary Poppins we went to the Met. That place is so huge I kind of felt a bit overwhelmed, but overjoyed at the same time. I was really excited when I walked into a room full of Van Goghs. Some of the most beautiful ones I've seen yet. I love him. Did you know? After the Met, one of our local friends took us to this great Jazz club over in the Hell's Kitchen area where there are tons of great secret restaurants that I didn't know about. They had a live jazz band and dancing, and they even gave me a complimentary glass of champagne for my birthday! (No, I did not drink it. It sat on the table like the awkward child). It was an amazing meal and so much fun. We partied in Times Square for a bit afterward and ate some Roxy's cheesecake! The best cheesecake in all of NYC. Thanks to all my friends for making my birthday so fantastic! It was really one of the best birthdays to date.

Day #6: We woke up, packed all our stuff, and caught a cab to church. I love going to church in the city. So many interesting people to see and meet. I met up with two of my friends, one who lives there and one who was visiting her for the week. After church we stopped at the Hot and Crusty in the Upper East side, a really delicious bakery Claire and Brittany discovered, for breakfast. Their apple croissant was to die for. We went another round at the Met to see what we missed the night before, then went back to the hotel, changed and got our bags, and caught a train to the airport.

This trip is definitely one to remember. One of the best and most perfect trips ever. I love that city and I just felt like I belonged there. I really felt like a local walking the streets and riding the subway everywhere. I can't wait until the day that I live there for real. Wish me luck in trying to accomplish that.

I'll do another post with all my pictures soon.

3 comments:

katie beth said...

sounds absolutely amazing! i'm glad you gals got to go to christie's... i'm actually applying for a internship/job there as well. (i'm pretty much applying anywhere i can!) i'm really just jealous you all got to travel again together... makes me miss our europe days. miss you friend!

Tamara Jacobs said...

kell that sounds soooo amazing!!!
i'm so glad that it was such a good trip for you!
i am rooting for you to go there!
i think it's a perfect fit for you, and you'd be closer to me:)!!!
love you!!!!!

AnnDeO said...

Very nice! It is so cool you take the dance classes. I too love the Frick and MoMA. Lucky girl and smart at 21 to take advantage of all these great opportunities.