I came across this quote today by Henry David Thoreau and really loved it:
"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
After this week, I think I'm closer to my truest life.
Let me tell you about it:
So, Thursday in my consultation with the Sotheby's man, I experienced a harsh yet enlightening and encouraging/exciting reality check. I no longer will pursue a career in art auction houses (apparently they are extremely competitive and you don't make that much money and you have to specialize in only one area while remaining in NYC for pretty much your whole career). I am going to shoot for the gallery/private dealing life.
Thank you Warren Winegar, for your brilliant advice. I am currently researching and applying for internships in New York City for the summer, as you advised.
Excitement!
What else is great about this man's visit to the BYU campus, is that he worked with the marvelous Martha Peacock to work out a new undergraduate major: Art History with a Business track. I now will only have to take 3 business-related classes at BYU and I will have the experience I need to get a career in the gallery scene.
Sotheby's could do no more for me, they say.
So some excellent news (especially for you, father) is that I no longer need to lay down $50,000 for a master's degree but could be just as successful with a BA in Art History with a side of Business at BYU.
Although this new program may postpone my graduation date to April 2012 rather than December 2011, I think it's worth the extra time and money.
Have I told you I love my school? And my professors? Because I really do. They are so incredibly amazing and provide only the best for their students.
As I said before, I am researching galleries in New York City for an internship this summer. And to Mr. Winegar's advice, I will pick an area to specialize in. Right now I'm thinking American art from 1876 on. Or maybe late 19th century/early 20th century European art. We'll see what I can find.
I'm so incredibly excited about this new insight I have been given into what the art business world is really like. I have very little experience with it, being born and raised in Utah, and this experience this last week has opened my eyes.
I'm SO incredibly grateful for the education I have been blessed to receive at BYU, which was ranked 11th in the nation's top-ranking recruitment schools in 2010 (which means it's the 11th best school to have on a resume when applying for jobs or graduate schools).
I feel like doors are opening and I'm learning more and more where my life path is taking me. I can't wait to jump right in to this new and exciting, albeit harsh (Mr. Wineger related the New York art business scene to the film "The Devil Wears Prada") world!
It's kind of scary sometimes to think of how fast the world is turning and time is passing.
But I really feel like I am now just following Mr. Henri's advice to "Live Living!"
Life is GOOD
5 comments:
kell! so fun! i'm so proud of you! maybe i shall visit you in NYC!
Wow. So fun! You are so smart and a hard worker. I'm sure you'll get any internship you want.
I'm so excited for you! It always feels so good to find the right nitch for yourself in life. No GO FOR IT and ENJOY the journey!
believe me when i say that the art world scene is probably worse than 'the devil wears prada.' it's kind of ridiculous! i still love it... but i have had to learn really quickly that nothing will be coming my way easily. best of luck to you kell... i'm hoping to be east coast by september! (maybe you should hope for me... i need lots of it!)
i loved this post and i also love that quote! i posted it on my blog, too! >leavesofalife.blogspot.com<
miss you, lady!
Post a Comment