Saturday, September 11, 2010

A crazy week

It has been probably the craziest, busiest week of my life. And now it is Saturday. The weekend. And what am I doing? Homework and preparing for the Club Style opening social that's tonight. I just ordered 20 large pizzas. Why, you ask? Because on Tuesday we had 120 people at our first practice of the year. And that was before we promoted and passed out flyers at "Involvapalooza" on Wednesday and Thursday where all the clubs have booths to promote their club and recruit more members. We passed out over 400 flyers. I'm scared to see how many people show up this week. The good news is, they gave us the main ballroom in the Wilkinson Student Center, the biggest room in the whole building. That will be helpful. But it's a little overwhelming to have to teach that many people. On top of all this Club Style madness, I have to write 2 papers this week, read a butt load of stuff about Mayan theology and Hinduism, complete 2 drawings for my art class, teach a discussion to someone for my mission prep class, and choreograph more of 3 different routines. Holy cow! I honestly have never felt so busy in my entire life. Oh, AND my professor Martha Peacock, head of the Art History department, asked me to join the student advisory council as the junior representative. And I said yes. Without thinking about the bajillion other things I have going on. What was I thinking?! I guess that it's great though because that is a huge compliment coming from Martha and it's great to have on grad school apps. The good side to all of this is I have a network of people that are there to help me with everything. Friends in my classes offer to study with me to make it easier and we trade ideas and fill each other in on the readings we didn't finish, I have an AWESOME presidency for Club Style that help me with whatever I call on them to do and an amazing support system from everyone in the BYUSA office. I love walking in there and everybody knows who I am and they ask how I am and how the club is and what great things we have going, etc. etc. Yesterday they asked me to be a judge for "BYU's Got Talent," but as I have a class on Wednesday nights until 8, I had to regretfully inform them I would be unable to participate. But that was a big compliment that they thought of me. Most importantly, I have great parents who remind me to "suck it up" and that I'm "not going to die" and remind me that "everything will be alright" [Which are ALL good things to be reminded of and actually really do help, :)] These first two weeks have given me a nasty cold (which could also be attributed to the change in weather) which makes things even more crazy and my lack of sleep is helping no one. But hopefully tomorrow will be a true day of rest and I can recover and get ready for this next week. Now that the first two weeks are over, things should be settling down more. I won't have to be in the clubs office as much, I'm getting used to my schedule and have had to work on my scheduling and organizing skills more than ever to stay on top of things. Important life lessons are being learned. My iPhone has never been more helpful with the notepad and calendar right there and I just have to click and baam, they're there ready to assist me. What a handy tool. I know things will get easier with time, but it feels good to whine about just for a little bit. :)

4 comments:

KaycieQ said...

you're amazing, kell! LOVE YOU!

melforbes said...

I didn't thing it was a whine at all! I thought you were just sharing all the wonderful things you're involved in and the way in which you're getting through it. It wasn't me that said "suck it up" or "not going to die"...sorry if I did 'cuz it sounds so not nice out of context. How about this...bust out and kick some buttox! sending hugs your way to get rid of your cold...love, mom

AnnDeO said...

I want to be you when I grow up. You are too amazing.

melforbes said...

Loved your blog this morning Kell. Its good to get it out. You are doing great. Couldn't be prouder.
We are the happiest when we are busy doing good productive things and serving others. You love it and you know it. Keep pluggin!
Love ya ...Pops