Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Kilkenny. A town I love.

I definitely must say this Kilkenny place is now one of my favorite little foreign towns I've visited. Coming just behind Oia in Greece, York in the UK and Amboise in France. Actually, I like it better than Amboise and York. So I think it is number 2 now. Last night after signing off, we went to dinner at this pub just up the street called "the Field" and we had the best Fish n' Chips and Coke Lights of our lives. So delicious. Then we just strolled a little bit and called it a night. This morning was a leisurely morning. We got up around 9:30 and went to Kilkenny Castle, which is now one of my favorite castles I've been to just behind Chateau du Chambord and the Edinburgh Castle. We went on a self guided tour through that and then sat in the Rose garden for a while. It was gorgeous. Then after strolling through the massive castle grounds park, we got in the car and drove south to the Jerpoint Abbey. Now I, being an Art History major, loved this place. It was this really old abbey that was built I think in about the 1100s. It was used up until about 1540 when King Henry VIII came and discontinued its use. It is now mostly in ruins and only the tower had a roof over it. The guide told us about all of the carvings and areas and their significance. Loved it. Then we got in the car again and drove through Mount Juliet. Supposedly it's like a world-renowned golf course that Tiger and all the champs love. Then we came back to Kilkenny and went to St. Canice's Cathedral, an old English Gothic cathedral that was gorgeous. I have always loved cathedrals but I love visiting them more now that I know more about the style of architecture and stuff. The stained glass was magnifico, the vaulted ceilings were massive, and dad liked looking at all of the tombs there and telling me how each of the people died. We had fun. There was a rope that led up to the bell tower that said "please do not touch" and dad told me to pull it. He said, "Come on, that'd be the ultimate door-bell ditching! Pull it and then run!" And then we laughed about that for a while. Outside the cathedral there was an old round tower that we could climb. It was built in 892. 892, not 1892. So we were a little freaked out as we climbed up the ladders to the top. It gave us a great view of the city of Kilkenny though. And now we are here, in this little internet cafe. I love this city. I think it might be sad to leave it tomorrow, but we are on to bigger and better things. Such as the Rock of Cashel and the Cliffs of Moher!!! I am so excited to see the Cliffs of Moher. We found out a little while ago that it is a nominee to become one of the new seven natural wonders of the world. Awesome. Can't wait. And this may be the last time we have internet before we get home, so the next post just might have pictures! And I'll be visiting my dear friend Kaycie in SC so there will be posts about that as well. We are having a fabulous time! I love Ireland! :)

No comments: